Aliko Dangote (GCON), is the richest man in Africa and the 67th richest man in the world, according to Forbes. The Dangote Group was established as a small trading firm in 1977. Today, it is a multi-trillion naira conglomerate with many of its operations in Benin, Ghana, Nigeria, and Togo. Dangote has expanded to cover food processing, cement manufacturing, and freight. The Dangote Group also dominates the sugar market in Nigeria and is a major supplier to the country’s soft drink companies, breweries, and confectioners. The Dangote Group has moved from being a trading company to being the largest industrial group in Nigeria including Dangote Sugar Refinery, Dangote Cement, and Dangote Flour.
But what is the fuel that keeps this business mogul’s energy running? Evan Carmichael who is known for profiling the business secrets of the world’s rich and famous, helps us answer these questions in his video profile of Aliko Dangote. In this video, Dangote himself shares 10 secrets of success…you can be sure we are taking these right to the bank! Here are a few snippets from the video
- Listen to people: if you want to be a good leader, you have to listen to people and value team work
- Be consistent: life without challenges is very boring. Just because you have hiccups in business doesn’t mean you should quit.
- Possess the right information: having the right information helps you make the right decisions
- Be focused: be dedicated. Don’t take your business or your job as something you must do- rather take it as a hobby (something you enjoy) and you will do better at it
- Think ahead
- Have a vision: for an entrepreneur there are no boundaries. You can excel far beyond your expectations. But you must have a vision and a mission to excel. 3-5years ago I never expected to be on Forbes list.
- Do only things you understand: any business I don’t understand, i don’t do. Thats why we are successful
- Think big: be bold and be ready to take calculated risk, not just any risk. If you think small, you will always remain small.
- Form strategic plans: have a strategy for how you will achieve your vision
- Your name is your most valuable asset: be honest and don’t destroy your name. If doesn’t matter how big you are, if you have a bad name no one will touch you
Video Source: Evan Carmichael