Here at IBG, we are constantly celebrating women who are doing great things in their respective fields and challenging us. To take it a step further, we’ve decided to start a series dedicated to these great women who inspire us. It is such an honour to have the first woman in the series as Michelle Obama, First Lady of the United States of America. Words are not enough to qualify how inspiring she is. Keep reading to see the different ways in which she is all shades of awesome.
1. She is UBER smart and SUPER articulate: She is a lawyer, who graduated from Princeton University despite not coming from what many will see as a privileged background. She has held several positions in different organisations including Associate Dean of Student Services at the University of Chicago and Vice President for Community and External Affairs of the University of Chicago Medical Centre.
2. Her style is second to none: It is well known that Michelle Obama’s style choices are worth watching out for, both on and off the red carpet. People magazine in 2008 named her as one of the best-dressed women. They praised her for what they called “a confident and classic look.”
3. She and Barack Obama give us #couplegoals: Michelle met Barack Obama when she was assigned to be his mentor at Sidley & Austin, a Chicago law firm where they both worked at. They’ve been married since 1992 and in these days of “brief weddings”, they are definitely inspiring.
4.She holds it down on the home front with her girls: During her husband’s presidential campaign, Michelle Obama was conscious about not spending too much time away from home. She realised that she had to find a way to balance being there for her husband and being there for her kids.
5. She is not afraid of her voice: Michelle is aware that beyond being wife of the president, she is also a role model for millions of women around the world. She is not afraid to let her views be known and she actively advocates for causes that she lends her voice to. She supports military families, fighting against obesity, international education for girls and many more causes.
6. She is 100% #TeamFitFam: FLOTUS is definitely very conscious of her health. She launched a campaign called “Let’s Move” to raise awareness about healthy living in the United States. She also released a video of her workout routine to inspire Americans to exercise regularly as part of the #GimmeFive challenge.
7. She is super funny and easy going: She took the world by surprise when she got videoed in Carpool Karaoke with the host of the Late Night Show, James Corden. She and James sang and rocked to Beyonce’s ‘Single Ladies’ and she looked like she was definitely having fun!
8. She responds to haters with grace: Now, most of us don’t take it lightly with people who make less than flattering statements about us. Not the first lady. You’ll never see her going after people in a war of words. She’s always an epitome of dignity and poise, not just with her carriage but with her words.
Does Michelle Obama inspire you? Tell us how!