Does it ever feel like you’re caught in a cycle of getting up early to go to work, trying to find new clients, paying bills and more bills…Rinse and repeat? If you do, you’re in good company. A lot of people feel the same way. Coasting along, feeling like life is dictating what they should be doing and who they should be. In this haze, it’s hard to remember that your life is worth more than the rat race. But that’s what this article is for. To remind you that your life matters. That you are not just a statistic, but you are someone with the potential to make a difference in the world. Here are a few tips on how can you live a life that counts:
1. Find joy in work: You need get to a point where you realise that a job has to do more for you than just enabling you to pay your bills. How does what you’re doing tie in with your life goals and aspirations? Even if you can’t do it full-time, you should try to work at something that holds meaning for you either as a volunteer or on a part-time basis. If you’re working at a job where you feel like you’re adding value or contributing somehow to the world, it makes your life more meaningful.
2. Find fulfillment in relationships: The first relationship that matters is the one you have with yourself! Accept yourself, warts and all. Love yourself. It is when you love yourself that you can begin to see ways to love others through service and your gifts.
Your relationships with the people around you also matters. Treasure the people you have in your life. It’s been said that every woman should have peers who are at her stage in life, mentees who is she encouraging and building up and mentors who she is learning from. People in each of these circles have things they can teach you and learn from you. Be willing to give and invest in these relationships.
3. Find pleasure in experiences: Life is made up of moments. Open yourself up to new experiences. This may mean that you’d have to be intentional about creating these moments for yourself. Go to a restaurant and savour the flavours in each meal you try. Eat something you haven’t tried before. Walk along the beach, inhale the salty sea breeze. Go for a concert. Plan a trip to your village or even out of the country. Do something out of the regular and be present in that moment. This is how to really live!
4. Find peace in creative expressions: We all have different ways in which we express our creative side to the world. Some people do it with their creative clothing choices. Some others write. Others sing. Whether you’re sketching or behind camera lens, you should let out your creative side. The great thing about creativity is that it’s like putting out a part of your soul. Let the world know you came with your expressions. Stop waiting to be perfect! Just live!
5. Find hope in God: Knowing that there is Someone who holds your life in His hands is one of the most re-assuring things in the world. While the world is going through upheaval politically, environmentally, financially, culturally and many other ways, you can rest assured that you are always held by Him. In shaky times, let your soul anchor on His love and peace.
What makes your life worth living? Leave a comment!